Visual search engines are generally web-based tools just like Google and they require no extra software or plugin to be installed. You can just feed in a image and start diving inside their visual result pages: select a visualization type, re-arrange your results, sort them by date, relevance, or by other possible parameters.
Within the set of visual search engines available out there, there are some that allow you to search standard Web-based content as well as others capable of retrieving also network contacts, similar sites, videos, images, podcasts, and much more.
Basic categories of VSE :
- Technology Type: Software or web-based.
- Visualization types: Dynamic map, stacks, list, tag clouds, etc.
- Content Sources: Web, Wikipedia, videos, images, Amazon Books, Twitter, etc.
- Search options: Sort by date, exclude keywords, search inside domain, RSS, etc.
Visual search engines are another revolution in progress now. Even though so many visual search engines came nothing is successful because visual search engine is much more complex than we think. In visual search engine, the input is nothing but the image which will be processed and converted into a set of numerical maps and then after doing a lot of processing it will fetch the relevant information about the image.
There are so many technical problems involved . Some of them are
- So many images as to be there in the database
- Good pattern matching technique has to be find out.
e.g Take two pictures with different background color as a human being we can recognize both belong to the same thing, but what about machines. These knowledge has to be given to the database. So it is an enhancement and developing still now.